Friday, December 5, 2008

Leadership

The class is coming to the conclusion of it's first semester of year 2. As the calendar year comes to a close, thoughts turn to our trip (see previous post) and graduation.

Some of the benefits of non-core courses in the second year is more emphasis on class participation and less on finals and midterms. I really prefer this way of instruction. This encourages students to prepare, to participate and the think more out-of-the-box about concepts rather than learn them by rote and write them down on an exam for marks.

Leadership is the first class that we have finished this semester. I really wanted to enjoy this class, but unfortunately I didn`t get out of it what I wanted. The amount of reading was quite voluminous with at least six HBR articles to read each class. I don`t mind doing the reading, if it is beneficial, but doing the readings and not following up in class was frustrating for me.

This is a subject matter that is difficult to cover in just 32 hours. Hitting the high points and delving into a few important points would have been more beneficial than trying to cover it all and then expecting the class to go into the depths on their own.

Overall, I enjoyed the class, but I don`t think that I got out of it what I wanted. This feedback has been provided to the instructor and I hope that the class improves for the next class.

No comments: